In order to have the best trip in Vietnam (and make some cool Vietnamese friends), it is recommended to learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases and words before traveling to Vietnam.
This will help when booking / buying things and also interacting with local people and make a trip in Vietnam more fun. But trust me when I say that even when you speak with no tone, the locals will love you for your effort. thank you in vietnamese
Vietnamese phrases to know for travelers
1.Greetings thank you in vietnamese
- Hello = Sin chow
- Thank you = kahm uhn
- Sorry = Sin Loy
- No Problem = Khum koh zi
- Goodbye = Tarm Byeet
- Can you speak English? = Poan noy dee-ing ahn durkh khom?
2. Ask for direction in Vietnamese
- Can you help me? – Poan jum toy durkh khum?
- Where is it? – Kai noy uh doh? If you’d like to ask for any location, you can ask …. o dau?
- How far is it = Pao seh
- Taxi! = Toac xi!
- Take me to…, please = Lum own , chow toy duen…
- How much? – Pau ziu?
- How much is it? – kai nay zia pau ziu?
- Too expensive – Moac Wua / Zat Wua
- Is there anything cheaper? – Ko kay nau rue hon khum?
4.For dining out thank you in vietnamese
- I’m a vegan – Toy an chuay
- Can I look at the menu, please? = Chow toy zem menu?
- Not spicy – Khong cay -> You add “Khong” before an adjective to indicate “not + …”
- Can I have a beer? – Cho toy mut chow bia
- Can I have (name of food or drinks)? – Chow toy (name of food or drinks)
- Police! = Kung an!
- It’s an emergency = Zuyet nay khum cap
- I’m lost = Toy pi zac
- I’m sick = Toy pi um
- I need a doctor = Toy kan mụt back see =
- Where’s the toilet? = Na zue xing/wc ở đâu?
- Help! = Kiu (toy) zoi!
Vietnamese people are really friendly and will be very impressed if you can speak (even only a little) of the language. As a traveler, you can use a combination of the verbal and body language to communicate better. We hope these phrases and advice can help you break the ice and get closer to the local.
Read More: Best Time Of Year To Visit Vietnam