In order to have the best trip to Vietnam (and make some cool Vietnamese friends), it is recommended to learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases and words before traveling to Vietnam. For example as hello and thank you in Vietnamese
This will help when booking / buying things and also interacting with local people and make a trip to Vietnam more fun. But trust me when I say that even when you speak with no tone, the locals will love you for your effort.
Vietnamese phrases to know for travelers. Beside Hello And Thank You in Vietnamese
- Hello = Sin chow
- Thank you = kahm uhn
- Sorry = Sin Loy
- No Problem = Khum koh zi
- Goodbye = Tarm Byeet
- Can you speak English? = Poan noy dee-ing ahn durkh khom?
2. Ask for direction in Vietnamese
- Can you help me? – Poan jum toy durkh khum?
- Where is it? – Kai noy uh doh? If you’d like to ask for any location, you can ask …. o dau?
- How far is it = Pao seh
- Taxi! = Toac xi!
- Take me to…, please = Lum own , chow toy duen…
- How much? – Pau ziu?
- How much is it? – kai nay zia pau ziu?
- Too expensive – Moac Wua / Zat Wua
- Is there anything cheaper? – Ko kay nau rue hon khum?
4.For dining out
- I’m a vegan – Toy an chuay
- Can I look at the menu, please? = Chow toy zem menu?
- Not spicy – Khong cay -> You add “Khong” before an adjective to indicate “not + …”
- Can I have a beer? – Cho toy mut chow bia
- Can I have (name of food or drinks)? – Chow toy (name of food or drinks)
- Police! = Kung an!
- It’s an emergency = Zuyet nay khum cap
- I’m lost = Toy pi zac
- I’m sick = Toy pi um
- I need a doctor = Toy kan mụt back see =
- Where’s the toilet? = Na zue xing/wc ở đâu?
- Help! = Kiu (toy) zoi!
Vietnamese people are really friendly and will be very impressed if you can speak (even only a little) of the language. As a traveler, you can use a combination of the verbal and body language to communicate better. We hope these phrases and advice can help you break the ice and get closer to Vietnamese People
Read More: Best Time Of Year To Visit Vietnam